We all have times when we are not always happy and cheery and it’s alright. You can only appreciate the happiness when you experience the down side of things. However, don’t dwell too long on them, and just pick yourself up and go on your merry way!
Here are the top 10 things that you can do to pick yourself up, and feel happy again. Why wait for your boyfriend, your friend, or anyone else to make you happy? Go out there, and make yourself happy!!
TOP 10 “HAPPY” bugs
1. Find what you like to do the most (whether its cooking, swimming, running, singing), and do it. GO out of your way to do it!
2. Smile. Even when things get tough, just smile. When you smile, you “trick” your brain into thinking that you are in a good mood, and you, in turn, feel good. Don’t believe me? Try it!
3. Take a break from what stresses you out, and take a walk. By doing so, you can give your mind a break and keep yourself from thinking about negative things. Instead, look around you, relax, take in deep breaths, and just think positive events that happened in your life. The more you think about the positive things in life, the more you become a half-full person.
4. Listen to music you like. When you listen to the music that makes you feel good, you feel good.
5. Volunteer, or help someone out. When you help someone or do something nice to another person, you feel happy as well. It gives you the satisfaction that you had made someone’s day and in turn, you make yourself happy too!
6. Get enough sleep. I didn’t realized this sooner, but when you have enough rest, you don’t feel tired and cranky, you feel simply happy. The sun shines a little bit brighter, the coffee tastes a little better, and the drive to work is a little shorter. Plus, you will be healthier with enough rest because your body has enough time to repair damaged tissues, and recharge you for a new day.
7. Hang out with people that are positive as well. We humans tend to have empathy toward each other, so when we see a person being happy and positive, we feed off that energy and be happy as well. (And the same works in the other direction as well.)
8. Surround yourself with the things you like. If your work office has boring office supplies and a boring monitor, why not decorate it with pictures and other little reminders that bring a smile to your face?
9. Resist the urge to say negative things. When you convert your negative thoughts to positive thoughts, you are proactively replacing your clouded glasses with a fresh pair of glasses, a new perspective. Soon, you will believe that you are positive, and these positive thoughts change your opinion about anything that seems terrible before. Maybe that 24 hour flight to grandma’s house isn’t so bad, or a rainy day is perfect to stay at home and drink some hot chocolate or tea.
10. Rinse and repeat. When you do these few things, not only will you make yourself happy, you will infect other people that surrounds you with the “happy” bug too. 😀 And why share the unhappy feelings, when you can be happy? Being happy will make you less stressed and you’ll live longer. Now that’s something to be happy about! 😉
This song certainly makes me happy. What makes YOU happy?